Are you the meanest mom in the world? Do you:
- demand to know where your teen is going and with whom?
- insist on making arrangements with other parents to drop off/pick up?
- make them call you when there is a change of plans and they are not going to be where you thought they were?
- make and stick to curfew times, so they are not out all night?
- discourage your teen from attending parties where there is no parental supervision?
- discourage your teen from attending parties where the consumption of alcohol and/or drugs are suspected?
- get frustrated/angry when your teen is obviously not putting any effort into their school work and/or sporting activities?
- ask them, at least once daily, if they have any or have finished their homework?
- get frustrated/angry when your teen and his/her friends break, damage, or lose something, don’t admit to it, don’t fix, find or retrieve it, and then don’t seem to think it’s a big deal?
- spend lots of money on their sporting activities, and lots of time driving them to and from these activities, so they can have fun?
- get frustrated when they won’t attempt to “better themselves” by applying for a more challenging/rewarding job, or training and trying out for a stronger/more challenging sports team?
- make them go to bed at a decent time and take away their electronic devices (cell phones, iPods, laptops) at bedtime on school nights, so they will get the rest they need. By the way, did you know sleep deprivation is the most common aggravator of many childhood/teen health issues such as ADD/ADHD, anxiety, depression, and more?
- prepare and expect them to eat well-balanced, nutritious meals and discourage them from consuming too much junk food?
- request that they keep their bedrooms clean, so you can occasionally find their dirty laundry and vacuum the floors in there?
- make them do really difficult household chores such as empty the dishwasher, cut the grass, shovel snow, and keep their rec room in the basement clean, to get an allowance/make some spending money?
If you do most or all of the above extremely annoying things; congratulations! you may be nipping at my heels for the meanest mom in the world award!