Well, our beautiful fall weather has come to an end here in Ottawa, so I am closing out my GARDENS4U season with some final garden chores:
- cut back any perennials that get mushy or moldy (hostas, peonies, tall phlox) Leave the rest for the birds, rabbits, squirrels etc.
- mound clean soil (just plain, new soil, no fertilizer) around the crowns of roses and any other less hardy plants.
- mulch leaves and spread them around the plants in my gardens. I will probably have to borrow some leaves from my neighbours or clients to do this as the trees in my yard are predominantly evergreens.
- take any frost-tender potted plants indoors (there are a few I overwinter)
- put containers that are not cold hardy into the garage (those without drainage holes are especially susceptible to cracking) Store them on a shelf or other spot off the floor.
- remove any cold-sensitive decorations from the garden and store them (not on the floor) in the garage
- pick any blooms still thriving; the frosty nights will kill them fast
That will probably end my garden posts for a while, I will have to look elsewhere for inspiration.
Get those garden chores done before it gets too cold out there!