Coconut oil has many benefits, some well known, some not so much. I have read about its wonders in the weight management/diet category recently, but when I researched further I found lots of other great reasons to use it.
photos by pixabay
Coconut oil contains healthy saturated fat and three medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) called capric, caprylic and lauric acid. Upon ingestion, instead of being stored as fat, MCFAs are processed by the liver immediately forming ketones which supply energy.
Research is hopeful that this energy from the ketones can actually help repair brain function in Alzheimer patients whose brains have lost the ability to produce insulin which formerly supplied the energy. Another interesting and hopeful theory is that this energy produced by the ketones cannot be used by glucose dependant tumors in cancer patients.
The MCFAs in coconut oil also exhibit anti-fungal, anti-microbial, analgesic (pain killing) and antioxidant properties. These properties are beneficial in the treatment and prevention of many health issues including:
- stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis, digestion problems
- urinary tract and yeast infections
- kidney stones
- skin problems like eczema, rashes, psoriasis, cradle cap, dandruff, dermatitis, burns
- high blood pressure and heart disease
- tooth decay and gum disease*
- liver damage
- thinning hair or hair loss
- osteoporosis. coconut oil reduces bone loss and increases bone volume
- type II diabetes
- anti-aging and hormone balance
- weight loss, losing body fat, building muscle, improving energy and endurance
- low milk production in breastfeeding moms
*Oil pulling is a simple detoxification procedure used in the treatment and prevention of tooth decay and gum disease that involves swishing a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes before spitting it out.
A simple way to add coconut oil to your daily routine is to replace the sugar in your diet with coconut oil, especially when you are fighting a cold or infection. Remember, sugar is your enemy! It enhances and encourages the growth of bad bacteria, viruses, fungus and even parasites while coconut oil shuts them down. Buy some coconut oil and try it, let me know what you think.