In the diet or health and wellness world, sugar is a bad word these days. Apparently, processed foods, even the fat-free, fat-reduced or light products are not the way to go as they are making us fatter and fatter. Why? Because of the large amounts of sugar they contain.
Sugar comes in many forms and names. Packaged, processed or prepared foods may be convenient and tasty, but are loaded with various forms of sugar:
- sucrose, maltose, fructose, dextrose, glucose (anything ending in ‘ose’)
- honey, syrup, nectar, sweetener, cane crystal, molasses, cane juice, malt
Sugar in any form causes our blood sugar (glucose) levels to rise and fluctuate, causing weight gain and more. When the sugar is metabolized in our bodies, it is stored as fat. A level, controlled blood sugar level is the best way to maintain a healthy weight and ward off diseases such as:
- breast, endometrial and colon cancers
- heart disease and high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- liver and gallbladder disease
Starting your new weight loss program does not have to be difficult. Aim to eat more fresh, non-processed foods. If you are tempted to buy convenient, processed foods, beware of the hidden sugars; read the labels!
Cut out sugar from your diet for a healthier, slimmer you.