The cottage project that grew and grew…

Cottage Renos

When we discovered that our water pipe running from the cottage to the lake had frozen this past winter, we decided to dig it up, replace portions and reroute the rest so that it would be buried deeper and under snow cover for future winters.  This project turned out to be an ongoing adventure, snowballing into rebuilding the patio and deck, which then lead to considering replacing doors and windows, which will have to wait.

This first set of pictures shows the soil that was displaced attempting to move the water pipe…

Next up was digging up the existing patio and expanding the width. length and depth so it is more comfortable. Then came removing the old deck, and discovering the damage caused by carpenter ants…

then replacing the old, chewed boards, footings, and joists with new ones…

Then adding a waterproofing system to keep the patio dry, adding the floorboards, then the posts and railings. Final results: an upper deck for viewing or sunbathing, and a lower, covered patio, perfect for storm watching, reading, or working in the shade…

Unfortunately, our cottage project has been put on the back burner because of a family issue.  My father-in-law fell and broke his hip in June this past summer and the ensuing drama has had us very busy.  The side railings of the deck still have to be installed, including a hummingbird fence insert for a privacy screen:

Stay tuned for a spring update on this ever-growing cottage project…

image_pdfPDFimage_printPrint

4 thoughts on “The cottage project that grew and grew…

Leave a Reply